Daily brief (6/30): Top picks from the Springfield media

A heat advisory will be in effect beginning at noon today and last through Saturday night.

It will be sunny and hot, with a high of 97. Heat indexes could reach 106 degrees, but cooling centers will be open around the area, including at the Salvation Army (1707 W. Chestnut Expressway). (Other coverage: KSMU, KSPR, KY3, OzarksFirst)

The dangerously hot weather will stick around through Sunday, with heat indexes surpassing 100 and little hope of rain in sight.

Today’s picks

  • OzarksFirst [KOLR/KSFX]: Grand Palace sells for $5.4 million. A little known group called Kingdom Wealth Bidders bought the Grand Palace Theatre in Branson at auction for $5.4 million. It had been listed for $10 million. (Other coverage: KSPR, KY3, News-Leader)
  • KSMU: Small Business Administration among agencies helping Joplin. The U.S. Small Business Administration is offering low-interest loans to help businesses and residents rebuild.
  • News-Leader: Weather speeds up Chestnut work. Chestnut Expressway at U.S. Highway 65 is expected to reopen Friday afternoon, ahead of schedule.
  • KSPR: Taney County mulls flood buyout program. The Federal Emergency Management Agency is offering some flooded Taney County homeowners 75% of the value of their homes. Taney County is deciding whether to contribute the remaining 25% of the estimated value.
  • OzarksFirst: Bolivar Speedway owner puts brakes on track’s future. The Bolivar Speedway won’t be putting on any races in the near future.

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: